Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Jedi Master Walt Disney

Geeky the Nerd starts off with some basic nerdiness.  Remember watching Luke Skywalker speed across the sandy, arid, desert in search of his lost R-2 unit?  Would you remember it so fondly if instead of sandpeople Luke had to be rescued from a bunch of furry forest animals or pirates?


Truth is, Disney filming more StarWars films probably can't be worse than Episodes 1-3.  I am glad but yet saddened by the return of our original heroes.  I almost wish Disney would do them in complete motion capture.  It would allow for Jedi Master Luke Skywalker to show prowess with the force due to his inherited high midichlorian count.  Mark Hamill might have a bit of trouble defending his fellow companions against untold of foes but if CGI can allow him to dance like Master Yoda he would fair much better.

Regardless, Disney has shown some versatility in the years apart from the hokey family movies we loved and then grew to find completely void of value and then grew to love due to nostalgia then grew contempt for again due to time wasted watching hand drawn cartoons (that aren't Myazaki films).  They did Pirates of the Caribbean which was okay for the first one or two but in my opinion lost appeal with the loss of Ms.Knightley.  

We have the technology, we can build it better and stronger.  We can do StarWars like never before imagined.  Can Disney do it?  George Lucas may have believed in a new era of StarWars, if so Disney might have shown the ability to bring that era to fruition.  

All in all, I am worried and excited.  I am a fan, not an expert and while I may have researched the Jedi religion I am not a Jedi Knight.  I am worried not because Disney is trying to continue something I love, but because change is scary.  I am worried because I am excited, because if it isn't an accurate representation of this universe that George Lucas created for us all those years ago (since before a lot of you were born) I might like it a little less.  

Even though it is a tumultuous time to be a StarWars fan, with those ready to embrace the new and those steadfast in the old ways it is exciting.  StarWars history, one way or another is being made.  We as fans get to be a part of it.  I am afraid it will suck, honest, but I will still see it...eventually it isn't even filmed yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment